[Dailydave] Celebrations
David Aitel
2018-03-12 14:49:57 UTC
drinky1drinky2

So today I'm going over the reports released at Kaspersky's SAS
conference and for some reason the images of people drinking on stage
stuck out at me. I think it's because half my facebook feed, when I
bother to log in to see what the schedule at the local BJJ gym is, is
people in *our community* talking about their recovery from addiction.

I know DefCon has this tradition of drinking on stage too, and GCon did,
of course, as have many other conferences I've been to.

Conferences are partially celebrations. And drinking is part of
celebrating, for a lot of people, but it's always been weird in our
culture because for so long we were all so young (and so overwhelmingly
male). I don't know about you, but it's always seemed insane to me when
people post tweets about how they're drinking to commemorate Barnaby
Jack's death as if that wasn't the very shit that killed him.

INFILTRATE has open bars - basically during the whole conference. But we
also have non-alcoholic cocktails and drinks the whole time and we don't
drink on stage because it's not great for new, younger members of the
community to link technical excellence and addiction. This isn't
"Drunken Master 5: iOS return-to-libc". This is hard stuff now and
spending two days a year talking to the top of the offensive community
about their plans for the year, and what didn't work last year,
sometimes requires a mostly-sober headspace.

Although we don't advertise it heavily, we have a huge uptake this year
in our non-alcohol included INFILTRATE ticket. It's at a small discount
from the main ticket price, but I don't think that's why people are
buying it.

Anyways, it's something to think about while we piece over what we know
and don't know about SLINGSHOT and SOFACY...
-dave
Curt Wilson
2018-03-12 15:46:51 UTC
My own offensive community relations are long in the tooth these days,
however your comment about addiction is relevant. Many people damage their
lives, and others lives so badly with it. Kudos for having a non-alcohol
option. A clear head and a healthy liver become even more important as the
inevitable aging process occurs. Hackers of the 80’s and 90’s are getting
old :)
[image: drinky1][image: drinky2]
Jared DeMott
2018-03-12 16:03:34 UTC
To go a step further, there's actually many Believers in our field -- and
often there's an informal church service/bible study/sharing time -- that
will get put together if a given security conference falls over a Sunday
morning. :) I've enjoyed many of those.
Jared
[...]
Thanks,

Dr. Jared DeMott
Founder, VDA Labs
www.vdalabs.com
Alex McGeorge
2018-03-12 16:47:02 UTC
Hi All,

We've been talking a lot internally about substance abuse and addiction
within the larger infosec community. Our having a no-drinks ticket
option (contact admin@ for details) is a result of these conversations.
We've also talked about hosting an Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics
Anonymous (AA & NA) meeting during the conference. To that end, we've
reserved a conference room and will provide refreshments for such a
meeting. We have not settled on a definite time as of yet but it would
likely be before the welcome reception on Wednesday the 25th or before
the dinner reception on Thursday the 26th.

If you are interested in attending this meeting and have already
registered for the conference or are confident that you will register,
please reply to me directly. I've attached my public key if you would
like to maintain your privacy.

Cheers,
-AlexM
Chris Eng

-dave
Matt Tait
2018-03-12 20:11:41 UTC
There is a fair argument that we overplay the visibility of the alcohol and
underplay the visibility of the healthy options (eg SAS had morning
exercise on the beach, lots of folks didn't drink at all etc), and that
might be off-putting to new folks entering the field.

No real problem with folks who use alcohol to blow off steam at these
conferences (hell, I had a *lot* of tequila on and off stage this past
week) but it's a good reminder to organizers that lots of new folks
probably see the alcohol as off-putting, not an enabler for them to
participate.

/my 2c
Matt
Allen
2018-03-12 18:27:04 UTC
Infiltrate handles this fantastically. A non drinker can blend into
cocktail hour water in hand; without getting dragged into mandatory keg
stands and belching contests you might find at other conferences. By day
the debugger slides damn near require a lucid and caffeine fueled sobriety
so there is actually social pressure against getting hammered the night
before. As an attendee, strolling into the day hung over, 2-3 talks late
feels like a local taboo; At Defcon even the speaker at the first talk of
the day is surprised to see anyone in attendance. Overall Infiltrate
marginalizes and contains the industries proclivity to drink to much, while
facilitating it judgement free and entertaining way. Expert social
engineers are clearly at work.

(The BJJ open mat is also a really cool idea; Even though I don't do BJJ it
would be cool to see that expanded to other healthy/social activities.)
[image: drinking.png][image: drinking2.png]